Planning a house remodel can be both exciting and a little terrifying. Whether you want to do the work yourself or hire a contractor, the key to a successful home improvement project is being prepared from start to finish. Here are seven pro tips for planning a house remodel in Gainesville, GA:
- Know your plans for the future: One of the first things you should figure out before moving forward with your house remodel is your ultimate end goal. It’s important to know how extensively you want to renovate your space, because of all the effort you’ll put in and money you’re going to spend. For instance, some homeowners want to do updates to raise the resale value of their home, while others plan to stay in the home long-term and simply want to make it more comfortable. The plan you have in mind for your future will steer your renovation project in the right direction.
- Consult your budget and calendar: Know your budget—this point cannot be expressed enough. Not only should your budget include the estimated cost of the project, but also buffer funds for any unexpected costs associated with the remodel. Another crucial detail is the project timeline. Many home remodeling projects tend to go longer than planned. Before making overly firm plans, scan your calendar for personal obligations, holidays and such that cannot be rescheduled.
- Do your homework: You may know what updates you want to do, but not the work and expense that goes into them. With this in mind, hop online and see what others have to say about their experiences with similar projects, or ask friends and family members about their experiences with home remodeling. Don’t ignore any cautionary tales!
- Research and contact contractors: When looking for a contractor for your home remodeling project, be sure to read through business websites, then compare client reviews, customer ratings, cost and timeline estimates (after requesting them) of several companies.
- Consider other home enhancements: Evaluate whether your particular remodel offers an opportunity to enhance the function or efficiency of your home. Let’s say an entire room will be gutted—this could be the time to reinsulate the walls, add ceiling light fixtures or upgrade electricity or plumbing.
- Make preparations: Once you’re ready to begin your remodel, get packing. Pack up, move or get rid of items in the renovation area. If you’re renovating your entire home, you might consider renting a storage unit for the duration of the project. Also, talk to the contractor about the best times to start and wrap up work each day based around your family’s daily routine—convenience and comfort is a major key to home remodeling success.
- Make plans for kids and pets: If at all possible, make arrangements for your kids and/or pets to stay at a trusted person’s house on work days. This keeps them out of harm’s way. No worrying for you or the crew.
Big or small, a home remodeling project is best left in the hands of a capable contractor in Gainesville, GA. Contact Covenant Woodworks today for information about what we can do for you.